Thursday, March 28, 2013

Never alone



Read.  Matthew 27:46.  Additional Scripture: Luke 22: 39-44. Hebrews 12:1-3

He was forsaken so you wouldn't have to be.

Just after making sure two people He loved would not be alone, Jesus had to face being forsaken by His Heavenly Father.

Until that moment, Jesus had spent every waking moment of His life fully connected to God.

Every word His Father gave to Him, Jesus spoke. Everywhere Jesus went, His Father was there.

But when Jesus cried, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" He felt the weight of separation from His Father. The greatest agony He could ever experience unlocked the greatest opportunity Jesus would have to show His love for you.

As Jesus neared death on the cross, He was forsaken so you wouldn't have to be.

We are not promised a life free from abandonment. People will abandon us, just as the disciples abandoned Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane. Occasionally, the pain of our circumstances can cause us to look around, wondering if God has abandoned us as well.

While there will be moments where you feel far from God, Jesus' death on the cross forever guaranteed that you will never be separated from Him. The moment Jesus felt apart from His father ensured that you would never have to spend a moment apart from Him.


The enemy can use moments of loneliness and pain to distract you from the potential and purpose God has for your life.

But even in your greatest agony, God is there. He isn't waiting for your strength to rise above your feelings of abandonment. He's waiting for your faith to rise as you acknowledge your dependency on Him.

Open your eyes today to the persistence of His presence.

PRAY:

Lord, I confess there are times in my life when I feel like everyone, even you, has abandoned me. Give me the faith to see that you have never left me. Help me to see that you were abandoned so I would never have to be. Let me focus on your presence today. In Jesus' name, Amen.

APPLY:

Even in your greatest moments of agony, God is there. He promises to never leave us or forsake us. What is one area of your life that feels empty and abandoned? What is one way that you can see God in this situation? As you face this struggle, seek ways to recognize God's presence.



No comments:

Post a Comment